Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Injured Baby Boy





Well, Phillip and I have gone through our first struggle together as a couple. On Thursday around 7:30, while I was dropping Kayla and Connor off at school, Oakley ran out into the street in front of our home and was hit by a car. When Phillip met me on the road, all he would say is "HE'S BEEN HIT BY A CAR! WHERE'S THE VET?" And of coure while I'm freaking out we're both driving down the road with flashers on hoping that the vet is even open this early. We get to the vet wearing pajamas and barefoot, and begin banging on the door in hopes somebody would come. One of the sweet nurses came to the door and led us to an operating table. Phillip is drenched in blood while holding Oaks in a towel, and our pup is just shaking. We call both of our moms to let them know that he is okay and to please watch our house because we left everything wide open.

I had to call Wheeler to let them know that I wouldn't be coming to observe that day and they understood. Dr. Clay kept Oakley until around 2 that afternoon to watch him after he had been put on the pain medication and gas. He ended up having stitches put in both legs and having both legs wrapped up. So... $266 later, our baby is okay!

We decided to buy the wrap, tape, and gauze and every 3 or so days we have to wrap him again ourselves. Today, he tore most of the wrap off one of his legs while being in the kennel, so tomorrow we're going to take him back for his checkup. We hope that Dr. Clay will release him from all of the bandages and maybe we can just keep band-aids on the main parts where the stitches are. Believe me, he scared us to death and I hope he never tries to do that again! We can't afford it and we can't afford to lose him. He's been on pain medication for almost a week now and he can barely keep his eyes open. Along with getting fixed last Tuesday and going through this on Thursday, he's had a time! I took pictures of our babe when we picked him up from the vet, but I would give anything to have pictures of the house when I got back home. Phillip warned me that there was blood all over, but I couldn't believe it could be that much until I got home and saw for myself. There was a trail from the front door to the bathroom where he had carried him back to wash him off, and the bath tub was full of blood. I'm just glad I got it cleaned up before anybody was able to see. It would have been an absolutely perfect place to film a horror movie!!

We're so lucky to still have him in our lives, and we pray that he gets better very soon! I'm not going to say I don't enjoy having a calm puppy around the house, but puppies aren't supposed to be THIS calm! I've enjoyed the major snuggles he's been giving lately and really hope he continues this after he feels better.

1 comment:

  1. What are we going to do when we are parents of kids??!! First Oakley, then, Ginger hurts her back. Our poor babies! Hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete