I absolutely never thought this day would come. Our precious puppy, whom we received in February from some girls at Memphis, has officially turned ONE YEAR old today! Although he's slept most of the day, he did enjoy lots of people food at Nana and Poppy's house this afternoon! (Which he loves to go over there because of course they sneak him food that we don't always let him have!)
Since Christmas he's thought we were extremely nice parents. He had so many sweet puppy friends that sent treats home with him, and his Stepi and Dah even sent him a box of treats as well. He's been on his "sugar high" as Phillip and I call it, but he's loving every minute of all of it! So thank you to all of you! We've got treats running out our ears but we are going to continually give them to him.
This puppy parenting journey we are on has been a little easier than I imagined it would be. When Phillip called me that afternoon to ask if I wanted a puppy, I initially said NO! I couldn't imagine raising a puppy when we were at two separate schools and Phillip was playing baseball. I thought it would be so hard on our Oaks. But once he sent the picture via text message and told me the story of why he needed to be given to us, I gave in and said YES! And then of course I couldn't wait to see him. Luckily, Phillip had an away series that weekend and we had to meet in Batesville for me to get Oakley from him. The poor thing was scared to death, and I felt awful for him. He slept the whole way back to Oxford which made me a little sad inside. I had class that afternoon so I left him in the kennel in my bedroom (in the apartment that wasn't supposed to have dogs, oops!) He squealed and cried the whole time, and I could even hear him from the parking lot when I was walking to my car. I thought right and there that we were never going to make it out of this parenting gig alive. But.. we did!

We went back and forth between weekends with Oakley. If Phillip had a home series, I would go up and stay with him and take care of the pup. However, if Phillip had an away game I had to meet him and pick him up and bring him back to Oxford. It wasn't easy I'll say that much, but we thought we were doing a pretty good job. We did a great job at training him. We took him out right before we went to sleep and we made ourselves wake up at 3 to take him out again. Then at 7, he woke us up and we took him out again. It was a pretty good system, and he eventually learned to hold it from the time we went to sleep until 7 or so. Now he will stand at the door when he needs to go outside. He rarely ever uses it in the house.
We taught him to sit and shake, and gave him a treat and praised him each time he did something great. Although, I will say he's done several bad things, his dad has spanked him and he hasn't done any of that again. He's eaten a lovely pair of Lacoste eye glasses, one of my favorite dresses, and some pajamas, but I have a feeling it won't happen again. In October, he had a little accident with a car but he figured out really quickly that he can't win against those things. It took us over a month to get him better, but with bandages, medicine, and with the help of our vet, he was back to his normal self.
We kept him in the kennel every time we left the house up until about two months ago. He absolutely hated it, but we were so afraid he was going to tear up something. However, one random day we decided to make a quick trip to Wal Mart and leave Oakley out. When we came back, he was laying on the guest bed and there wasn't one thing torn up. We knew right then and there that he wasn't going to let us down and we would give him freedom to stay out. Until this day (knock on wood), he still hasn't torn anything up when we are gone. We've been very impressed! He has terrible allergies, but we're treating them each month with medicine.
I would have to say his favorite place in the world is Three Dog Bakery in Collierville, TN. He loves to visit, and on Mother's Day he painted me this beautiful canvas paw print picture! We try to visit regularly to get him precious treats that he loves so much!
Going to the park to play fetch baseball or frisbee is probably his favorite thing to do right now! When we say, "do you want to go play?" he runs straight to the door!
I know Phillip is going to have the hardest time leaving in March. He already talks about it, and I just try to change the subject. I'm pretty sure he was more excited to see his baby when he came back in September than he was me. Our baby loves to be loved! When it's time to play, he wants his daddy but when he wants to cuddle, he comes right up beside me and snuggles up close. He sleeps pretty much on top of me every night, but I wouldn't have it any other way. He was probably one of the best decisions that we've ever made as a couple, and I know he's going to keep me company while Phillip is gone. I really think that's one of the main reasons God put him in our lives!
I never realized the bond between a human and a dog until now, but I wouldn't change a thing. He's our baby and we love him! We show him all of the love and affection that we can, but we also scold him when he needs it. He's the best friend ever!
We dedicate this special song to you, buddy!
HAPPY FIRST BIRTHDAY, OAKLEY CHAPMAN! WE LOVE YOU!!!! - your parents
Hello! Pretty much the puppy, gorgeous even. I am Joseph Gerard, I am Brazilian and also love animals, I invite you to be a friend of Leaf Bug by google frend.
ReplyDeleteSorry, I do not speak English, ... Thank you.